Keeping kids happy in the car
As we speak I am sitting in the front passenger seat as we embark on our first road trip of the year.
We are headed off to the Gold Coast, a 10 hour drive north from Sydney.
In the car we have piled all our stuff along with 4 kids into the back of the trusty Barbie mobile.
We have ditched the every day hum drum of life, for a week of family fun by the beach and some exciting theme park action.
First stop tonight will be Coffs Harbour on the NSW North Coast and after 6 hours in the car I’m sure a nice glass of wine will be needed!!
- Invest in a in car DVD player. You can get these relatively cheaply these days from most department stores and they will keep the kids entertained for at least the length of a movie. Although it does create fights over which movie to watch.
- Make sure all iPods and any tablets are fully charged before you leave, with some fun apps and games on them. Download some audio books to keep them entertained. Headphones are also a must.
- Brush up on your “eye spy” skills.
- Ensure your child has his or her favourite cuddly toy or blanket on hand
- If your child is prone to car sickness, invest in a good sickness medication to ensure a smooth drive ahead
- Pack a small esky with some snacks and drinks
- Pack lots of plastic bags and garbage bags for easy rubbish removal and for any unforeseen accidents
- Pack some baby wipes and stash them in the glove box
- Colouring in books and pencils, maybe not a good idea if the road is too bumpy
- Sing some songs
All these should at least see you have some smooth and quiet hours ahead on your roadtrip, fingers crossed.
What tips do you have to keep everyone happy on the road?