Buying That First Bra
- The average age for a girl to start wearing a bra is around 11 years of age. I’m not talking about the full on underwire variety, but a form of coverage or “training bra” around this time is considered normal. Young girls can tend to get a bit, say, “pointy” at this age and this can make them quite self conscious.
- Your daughters first bra should be soft and with no underwire. Underwire at this age can damage the sensitive breast tissue. A crop top maybe all she needs to begin with to cover the “pointy” aspect until the outer breast tissue starts to come in.
- At some point it would be advisable to get your daughter properly measured and fitted. If she feels embarrassed to do this in a store, you can do this at home and go shopping together later.
Please include attribution to www.brasnthings.com with this graphic.
- If they start wearing baggy shirts and are obviously trying to cover up the fact that they are starting to develop up top, then this maybe a sign that you need to go shopping.
- She maybe very sensitive and find her developing boobs a bit tender and feel hard to the touch. This is completely normal and a a bit of extra protection could make her feel more comfortable.
- Don’t buy her a bra that she “will grow into”, not only will this be extremely uncomfortable for her, but will defeat the purpose.
- Don’t tell the world once your daughter reaches this important milestone. Even though it might be a proud and important life moment for you, doesn’t mean that your terribly embarrassed daughter wants the status of her boobs broadcast over Facebook.
- Be prepared to spend a bit of money. Some girls find that they will go through 6 to 8 sizes fairly quickly during the growth period.
- If the other girls are all sporting the latest bra, but your daughter is still flat chested, she may still want to get one to avoid feeling left out or self conscious. This is normal, maybe get some pretty crop tops or beginner padded bras. Acceptance and feeling just the same as everyone else is very important to a young girl.
- A bra with a lining is a good idea. They put a covering over the nipple area so it is not visible through clothing. A great choice for a “pointy” self conscious young girl.
- Make a fun day of it. Go shopping just the two of you, keep her younger siblings at home if at all possible. Go to a coffee shop afterward and enjoy each others company and chat over a latte….decaf of course..
- Be mindful that once the boobs start growing a first period is not that far away too…. so as the Boy Scouts say…… be prepared………