Top 10 Movies For Valentines Day
- The Notebook :- A story written by Nicholas Sparks, the “King” of the romance novel. Who can forget Ryan Goslings breakout role and the chemistry between him and Rachael McAdams, wowza!!!!! That kissing scene was something out of this world and left men wondering how on earth that were ever going to live up to that expectation….simple they never would.. The simple story of two people from different upbringings meeting and falling in love, throw in some disapproving parents and you have the classic love story.
- Notting Hill:- Let’s face it Hugh Grant is the “King” of 90’s chick flicks!! Who could resist a floppy haired Hugh with his spiffy English accent and bumbling mannerisms,as he stumbled from one romantic comedy to the next. This one is one of my favourites as it depicts the unlikely relationship between a Hollywood starlet and your average guy next door who owns a travel book shop. Will these two make a challenging relationship work amongst all the paparazzi flashbulbs or is it destined for failure?
- Love Actually:- Again another one with Hugh Grant, who this time plays the bumbling British Prime Minister, rather brilliantly I might add. This movie coupled with being one of my favourite Christmas movies is one of my favourite movies of all time. The plot revolves around a few different story lines that somehow all intertwine in an unique and yet individual way. Many big names make appearances in this movie, which makes it a who’s who of the British film industry. There is new love, newlywed love, puppy love, best friend love, awkward love and inconvenient love all of which show us that “Love is Actually all Around”..
- An Affair To Remember:- This movie was introduced to me by my lovely Mum. We would watch it together on many a rainy Sunday afternoon while she tackled the weekly ironing basket. The promise made between a couple on a European cruise to meet 6 months later on top of the Empire State Building, once they has sorted out the messiness of their respective lives, has stood the test of time. Deborah Kerr and a very suave Cary Grant play the two romantic leads who vow to each other that their feelings for each other won’t change over time…however fate steps in and delivers a devastating blow, will their relationship survive?
- Titanic:- Ahhh Leo and Kate, who can forget the “I’m flying Jack!!” or “draw me like one of your french girls…” and my favourite “put your hands on me Jack”…oh my!!!….Oh and amongst all this is the biggest ship in the world sideswiping an iceberg and sinking into the fridgid Atlantic. As anyone knows, unless you have been under a rock, things didn’t work out so well for these two in the end, but they certainly had fun up until the damned iceberg part. If Titanic’s two lookouts could have found their binoculars, who knows maybe Rose and Jack might have had their happily ever after..
- Sleepless In Seattle:- A story that centres on the devastation and hopelessness of loss and when life hands us a second chance to be happy again. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan star in this easy to watch back and forth, lighthearted comedy. A son tries to help his newly widowed father find a wife by calling into a radio talk show program. The result causes us all to think about how do we actually know when we meet the right person? Though Hanks and Ryan only have one scene together, the intermingling of the two different story lines is charming to watch. With lots of references to the movie “An Affair to Remember” and some cute kids thrown in, this will fast become a Valentines Day favourite.
Photo Source: via
- Dear John:- Well Channing Tatum….need I say more!!! A soldier falls in love with a student while home on leave. Unexpected events take place causing him to sign up for another tour of duty, thus compromising their new relationship. Will they stand the test of long distance and war? or will this be the end. Did I mention that it starred Channing Tatum?
- Dirty Dancing :- “Nobody puts Baby in a corner”….sigh…. Patrick Swayze at his best, fantastic music and dancing. Set at an exclusive holiday retreat Patrick Swayze plays the resorts resident dancing teacher and Jennifer Grey his newly found dancing partner. Together they must overcome the differences in their social standings to gain approval both on and off the dance floor.
- Valentine’s Day:- A movie especially for Valentines Day! A who’s who of Hollywood appears in this movie. Everyone from Shirley McClain, Ashton Kutcher, Jennifer Garner, Patrick Dempsey, Eric Dane, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner…..I could keep going!!!! Another movie with an intertwining storyline about how various different couple spend Valentines Day. Some prepare to spend the day with the one they love, others prefer to dismiss they day altogether, others face disappointment and others experience a new love. Some celebrate an old love and some learn how to deal with infatuation and first experiences….it all makes for a very busy day.
- The Holiday:- Another Xmas/Romance movie. I love this one at any time of the year. The premise is really very simple. Take your screwed up, stressed out life and ditch it for a couple of weeks and escape as far away as possible. So it’s on a house swapping website that Amanda and Iris meet and agree to swap houses with each other. As a result of the house swap they both meet people that will influence and change their lives greatly, in more ways than one. This one has a great cast also, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Jack Black form the main players and the interactions between all of them is fantastic to watch.