What Does It Mean To Be Beautiful?
Being told you are pretty is something girls have listened too for a long time, even from a young age.
Back in the 1950’s is was thought that the most important thing a girl could aspire to was to be “pretty”. That way she could snare the best husband and be set for life.
These days girls are still told they are “pretty”. I think it has just become the “go to” phrase when it comes to describing young girls and giving them a compliment.
“My aren’t you a pretty thing”…
“What pretty hair you have”
“My the boys will be chasing you when you get older”
Yada Yada Yada……..
However this trend is starting to change with feminist groups and mothers of girls banding together to encourage other descriptive words to be used to describe our girls.. and rightly so..They are so much more than just “pretty”.
But what do our girls think it means to be pretty? Is it something they should aspire to? Or should they be looking at the bigger picture?
Is being pretty just about how we look, or should it be about something more?
I think the one of words we should use to describe our girls should be “beautiful”… not pretty.
The word “beautiful encompasses so much more than just a physical appearance.
To be “beautiful” means so many more things.
To me it means the following and this is why I want my daughter to be beautiful.
- Being beautiful means to have a beautiful personality
- Yes, it can mean a beautiful face and body, but that’s not the most important thing, besides what others find attractive is different for everyone.
- A beautiful soul, not too many people are blessed with these, these girls are truly the special ones.
- A beautiful person, not physically, but a person who puts others first, thinks of the feelings of others, is kind and loving.
- Beauty is found in confidence and being self assured, knowing what you want and making your own decisions.
- Beauty is having acceptance and being happy with your own body. Knowing that you are beautiful in your own skin, no matter what society tells you is the norm and how you are supposed to look.
- Beauty is having the ability to be yourself and not feel the need to pretend to be anything other than the best “you” you can be.
- Beauty is accepting the differences between all peoples and seeing everyone for the uniquely fascinating people that they are. Everyone is different and that’s what makes the human race so interesting, people who accept this are indeed beautiful.
- Beauty is expanding your mind to listen to the opinions of others. Having acceptance of varying points of view. Reading, learning and expanding your knowledge is to truly have a beautiful mind.
- Beauty is to be grateful for everything you have in life and to not let your jealousy of others influence your relationships with those who are more fortunate.
If they can aspire to have all these qualities, then they truly will be “beautiful” girls and that is so more attractive and special than just being merely “pretty”…..