Is Your Daughter a Mean Girl?
So how can you tell if your daughter is changing and becoming a “Mean Girl”?
Some signs she might displaying could be:-
- She starts displaying aggressive or antisocial behaviour at home
- She has no or little patience
- If she becomes obsessed with being popular or worried about her social standing
- She becomes overly concerned with her appearance and what she is wearing
- Her friends are known bullies or “Mean Girls”
- She is spending increasing amounts of time online
- Girls from broken homes tend to have an increased risk of becoming a bully
- You start hearing whispers of negative information about your daughter and you may find yourself feeling isolated from other parents in the school community
- She starts disobeying the family rules, eg staying out late or sneaking out.
What can you do to change her behaviour?
- Discuss your concerns with her to see of you can discover a source of the problem
- Monitor her internet use and social media accounts…yes get her passwords and monitor her activities online, if she is posting socially negative comments take away access to her online accounts.
- Look at her phone messages and ask about any inappropriate texts. Take away her mobile phone if she is abusing the privilege …. remember who is paying the bill…
- Discuss the problem with her teachers and come to a resolution and a course of action at school
- Make sure you set and stick to the basic ground rules of your household and let her know that there are consequences should she disobey them.
- Point out her bad behaviour immediately should you be a witness to any “Mean Girl” behaviour.
- Seek the help of a Mental Health Professional if you feel the problem may be getting out of hand and out of your range of expertise.