All over Facebook every day I read the posts of fellow parents who gush over the latest sporting prowess that their son or daughter has displayed over the weekend or at school athletics carnivals.
They proudly post the photos of their child with their latest ribbon from a cross country, that they have won…. yet again.
I’m now going to admit something I have never admitted to anyone before. I used to be jealous of those parents, I emphasise “used to be”…
I used to be one of those sporty kids and naturally you think your kids are going follow in your footsteps. Until it becomes obvious that they don’t have one sporting bone in their body, either in desire or ability.
I have raised a team of netballers.
All 4 girls play, their abilities however vary. Miss M loves playing the game, however when she played one season of division 1 netball, she realised that participating at that intense level of competition just wasn’t for her.
Miss E has blossomed as a division one player and loves the intense competition and has done since she was 13 years old. This is where my two older girls are very different.
One thing we as parents have to realise early on, is that we are raising our children to be individuals and not little clones of ourselves.
Each child is going to be different, even within the one family and they will have very different interests and ambitions in life. It is our job as parents to help them discover their own passions and help nurture whatever those desires and passions are.
I have embraced the fact that my oldest daughter is in fact a “nerd”.
She very proud of her “nerdiness” as she should be. In fact it is this very attribute that is going to take her a long way in life.
She has a lovely group of friends who have also embraced her “nerdy” qualities. In fact I think they (and we) have realised just how useful these qualities can be .. for instance….
Advantages of Raising a Nerd
- They are generally very organised people. Everything has to be in its place.
- Homework and assignments are never late
- They are always prepared for exams and tests.
- Their rooms are generally kept clean and tidy because …… (See point one)
- They are generally very mature for their age and the majority of worries you have with most teenagers, don’t apply to the “nerd”
- They can tend to be a bit introverted, they are very content to spend time at home. Therefore you basically never have to worry about where they are and who they are with.
- They have their own futures mapped out early, they have set themselves goals and know where they are headed. This is a big weight off the shoulders of we parents who worry what our kids are going to do after they finish school.
- If you ever get confused about the plot line of any Avenger or Marvel movie in general, you are covered, because your child is a walking encyclopaedia on all things Marvel.
- Arrow is their favourite television show, which makes it Ok to watch to together, call it “bonding” time…yes “bonding” time! This gives you a great excuse to perve on Stephen Amell. She will tell you that it’s all about the plot.
- Having a “nerd” for a daughter gives you serious brownie points when you tell her that she is off to “Comic Con”!
And you can be too!!
Leave a comment answering the following question in 25 words or less and complete the rafflecopter widget and you could be rubbing shoulders with your favourite Superhero and embracing your inner nerdiness.
Who is your favourite Marvel Superhero and why?
This giveaway is open to Australian residents only .
This is a game of skill, not chance, entries not answering the question via a blog comment will be deemed invalid.
Winner will be notified on 1 September 2015 on this blog and on the Facebook Page.
Winners will have 4 days to respond to the notification or a redraw will result, this blog will not be responsible if the winner is not able to be contactable.
Prizes are not transferrable or redeemable for cash.
Prizes will not be replaced should they get lost, stolen or damaged in transit.
Barbie, Bieber and Beyond has been compensated for the running of this giveaway.