Weird Beauty Trends
There are so many crazes doing the rounds at the moment. From the Kylie Jenner lip thing. (I would much rather use a shot glass for it’s intended use.)
To these pearlers.
- The Juice Cleanse – Which is essentially starving yourself
- Waist Training – Kim Kardashian is an avid follower of this trend. This method cinches your stomach so tight in an effort to achieve a tiny waist. The danger occurs because essentially, you are squashing your internal organs, like your lungs, bones and ribs. Wearing the waist trainer makes it terribly difficult to breathe and some wearers have even passed out.
- The Brazilian Blowout – No it’s not what you think. This is a hair straightening treatment that uses so many nasty chemicals. Formaldehyde for one. It can cause skin irritations and allergic reactions.
- Removing Split Ends with fire – Umm hell no! Apparently a lot of salons offer this treatment. The danger comes when people attempt this at home.
- Sunburn Art – This is exactly what it sounds like. Stupid! Coming from a fair person, who all she has to do to get sunburnt is simply look at the sun, intentionally doing this to yourself is just crazy. This trend promotes an increased risk of skin cancer and obviously pain! Maybe use a fake tan if you want this desired result, much safer.
- The Vagina Detox – This is Gold!! A US firm is selling “Herbal Womb Detox Pearls”. They are said to aid conditions like thrush, endometriosis and ovarian cysts. The company says that the pearls are designed to “cleanse the womb and return it to a balance state”. I like mine unbalanced thank you very much, it fits in perfectly with my life. Drs advice caution saying that this product could cause conditions like Toxic Shock Syndrome. Dr Jen Gunter a US Gynaecologist stated the following “
“Your uterus isn’t tired or depressed or dirty and your vagina has not misplaced its chakra.
“They want no real help from you unless there is something wrong and they will tell you there is something wrong by bleeding profusely or itching or cramping badly or producing an odour.”
She explained that the vagina was like “a self-cleaning oven” and putting anything like this in the vagina for long periods of time will increase the likelihood of bad bacteria growing and causing infection”.
So in other words don’t stick anything up there, that doesn’t belong up there! (I just realised that this sentence could be interpreted in a number of ways).
Strange beauty and health trends have been going on for thousands of years.
- Pee – In ancient Rome, urine was used in facial masks and also used by men and women to whiten teeth. Um ewww.
- Bust Food – This product professed to be able to enlarge your bust from anywhere to 2 to 3 inches! Where can I get me some?
- Radioactive Beauty Products – Yeah probably not a great idea…
- Dimple Machines – Because every lady apparently needed two, cute little dimples.
- The Tapeworm Diet: Yep you heard correctly. Apparently in 1800’s England, the secret to a trim figure was swallowing pills made of tapeworm larvae. The larvae would take up residence in the stomach, the worms would remove all the excess calories from your body, until they were removed, not sure I want to know how.
- White Lead Facials: Back in the day having whiter skin meant that you spent less time outdoors, hence were less likely to participate in back breaking labour, hence your social standing was deemed higher. The concoction was made of white lead, calcium carbonate and hydroxide. After time users could expect to develop anything from lead poisoning, skin irritations to baldness.
Makes you wonder how future historians are going to look back on the 2000’s with the Kardashians setting the trend ..gawd help us!